Tuesday, April 7, 2009

AoG Project, Chapter 7.



(Send me any and all of your art before next Monday the 13th, and I'll post them on Monday the 27rd. If you would like to memorize some verses pertaining to the attribute of God's Immutability I recommend Duet. 32:4, James 1:17, Jer. 31:3, Psalm 100:5
. If your coming into this project a little late, HERE is an explanation as to what it's all about. If would like to read any of the previous chapters, they can be found HERE.)

7. THE IMMUTABILITY OF GOD


The Divine immutability, like the cloud which interposed between the Israelites and the Egyptian army, has a dark as well as a light side. It insures the execution of His threatenings, as well as the performance of His promises; and destroys the hope which the guilty fondly cherish, that He will be all lenity to His frail and erring creatures, and that they will be much more lightly dealt with than the declarations of His own Word would lead us to expect. We oppose to these deceitful and presumptuous speculations the solemn truth, that God is unchanging in veracity and purpose, in faithfulness and justice. (J. Dick, 1850).



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't really been able to get out of bed to take pictures lately, but I have been thinking about the immutability of God. Every time I do, the hymn Immortal, Invisible comes into my head, and the line, "We blossom and flourish like leaves on the tree/And whither and perish but naught changeth thee." I feel particularly withering and perishing right now -- and sometimes wish I could get it over with -- and the well-meant, "You'll get better soon," is a bitter drink when I've been sick for so long and nothing has been able to help. But the knowledge that there is a God who created me and loves me and remains constant no matter what I am going through IS encouraging.

Anonymous said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshuaklein/3438641522

Who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt. There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked. When the waves of death compassed me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid; He sent from above, he took me; he drew me out of many waters and set my feet upon a rock. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. (2 Sam 22, Isa 57, Ps 40)

Joshua
Sedgwick, ME