Friday, June 20, 2008

#5 John Piper - Sovereign Joy in the Life and Thought of St. Augustine



(A series of 48 sermons that have angered, broken, impacted, molded,
and changed me.)

#5 “Sovereign Joy in the Life and Thought of St. Augustine” – John Piper



Piper’s passion is so addicting! I never really got Piper’s “Christian hedonism.” It seemed too man centered, until explained through the lens of Augustine’s definition of grace – God’s giving to us a sovereign joy in God that triumphs over the joy of sin.


We need to discover purity/chastity in God more desirable than lust. We need to find our Joy in Him over everything else.


What trifles am I keeping instead of God?


“Not in reveling and drunkenness, not in lust and wantonness, not in quarrels and rivalries, rather arm yourselves with the lord Jesus Christ. Spend no more thought on nature and nature’s appetites.” Romans 13:13


1 comment:

Michael Spotts: . said...

I went through a similar path adjusting to Piper's emphasis.

I would say to my friends, "Sanctified selfishness is selfishness, nonetheless." However, I had not given him time until more recently. Now I have come to the same conclusion that we ought to seek holy drives and desires, for God's sake foremost, and for ourselves as well. Are we not called to love our neighbors as we love ourselves? You and I desire that our neighbors would be filled with joy in spiritual things, to have delight in serving God. Even so, we ought to desire that for ourselves, for the same reasons.

As for a book review, I apologize for completely "shelving" the email. I have a TERRIBLE memory for anything besides facts, and live by lists. I would still like to review Pink's book (more likely Pink's book) but am rereading it right now so that it will be fresh. As well, I am working on an audio version which should be done within the month. Perhaps the two can be released simultaneously?

Well, I definitely hope to catch up with you while I'm out in your area, 16th - 27th this month. I'd like to meet Ryan as well, so maybe we can work it out.

Alright, I'm out.

-Mike:.